• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub mud spats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87937-6294H

Reaction score
Has anybody out there ever seen this type of Mud spat for a Piper Cub? My understanding is these were manufactured south of Midway airport in the 40s. They also received CAA approvals for Cubs and other light aircraft. We also have a set for the Aeronca Chief. They clamp around the bottom of the gear legs and the framework supports a teardrop shaped cap over the wheels. We only used them in mud season, also known as spring, to keep the mud off the bottom of the wings. According to my father they were fairly popular around the Chicago area in the 40s and 50s. I was wondering if the use of them migrated to other parts of the country. I have looked for pictures of these things in use but came up empty.

Paul ImageUploadedByJ3 Cub1415678994.975181.jpg
ImageUploadedByJ3 Cub1415679060.044920.jpg

Latest posts

Back