• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Control Cable Tension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightsmall

Reaction score
I was recently flying my 2006 Legend Cub through light rain and felt a vibration or flutter in the control stick. I looked at the aileron cables on both left and right sides of the plane. The cable on the left wing was flinging water droplets in all directions. The left aileron cable, where it passes through 3 fair leads along the back side of the forward strut, was whip-sawing or doing a sine wave routine. I couldn't see any flutter in the aileron(s). I had noticed that my cables were not as taut as the cables are on a new Legend Cub at my airport. I phoned the factory and asked what the correct tension should be and was told that the tension was set by "feel" at the factory before a new plane is delivered. I then put a tension meter on the new Legend at my airport and the tension was 20 (1/8th inch cable) so I've now tightened my cables to match. My question is: Did Piper give any specs on aileron cable tension for the J-3 and, if so, what is it? I consulted AC-43-13 and it didn't give any help except to say that cable tension should be set to the aircraft manufacturers specifications. How about tension on the elevator and rudder cables, would they be the same as for the ailerons?

I'm also wondering if the cable in exposed areas should occasionally be treated with LPS 1 or 2 or 3.

Latest posts

Back