• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Compression Struts Metal Spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLCUB

Reaction score
While cleaning and prepping my compression struts for epoxy primer I noticed some dried up grease in the end cavity where the threaded inserts are. I came across this statement by Richard (reileyr) in another thread and have a couple of questions:

What is "pink/red"? If it is a lubricant does someone have a part number or source?

Is there a torque value for these bolts? If not is snug good enough since the drag strut bolts have a plate lock on them?

If this is a metal spar wing, each end of compression strut has a threaded aluminum end piece that the bolt screws into. Piper lubricated (pink/red) these bolts prior to installation to prevent galling the aluminium threads. Common for these bolts to be reinstalled without lubrication, stripping the threads. Try slightly tightening the bolt, but if it turns without tightening the drag strut, you can conclude the end fitting is stripped. There are plenty of Cubs flying with stripped compression strut end fittings. Easiest to repair when wing is uncovered. I don't remember if wood spar wings had a similar set-up. Richard

Jack

Latest posts

Back