• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Carb heat RPM drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennj3

Reaction score
At 1500 RPM, C 80, how many RPM should I see drop?
Mine only drops 1 or 2.

My plane sat up for 8 months while I repaired the rudder. Got the annual done, and flew. It ran great but the engine sputtered at about 1000 feet, carb heat applied and no change. I made it back to my landing strip. On the ground it ran fine, blocked the wheels and ran her full throttle with no problems.
I put in fresh fuel, drained well the next day. Same thing happened. Could not repeat on the ground.
I have now flown her two different days, one hour one day. No problems other than I see my Tachometer does not run up (sticking) some time.

Trying to figure out if that was water some place vs Carb ice ?

Scary taking off without a great place to turn around or land at certain points, altitude!

Tragically a friend lost his life 2 days ago, his old Bell Helicopter must have experienced mechanical problems, he did not make it to my landing strip (he was not in route to my place, looks like he was attempting to clear the woods). I was outside and was listening (like we pilots do when we hear a plane). There is an open yard behind my strip, his rotors chopped out the top of a pine, hit the ground and exploded on impact.
So that is making me take extra precautions as we all should!

Latest posts

Back