• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-85 Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellc172

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out the problem with my J3 for a couple months now and am not having any luck so I thought I would see if anyone else had any ideas. It has a Continental C85-12F that backfires at idle stumbles from idle up to 1200 where it really runs rough and backfires. After 1200 RPM it smooths out a bit but doesn't develop full power. I have found a sticky exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder, a broken spring on the #3 cylinder, the carburetor halves were loose, and the seals were missing on the studs that hold the induction to the case. I have tried running with a known working loaner carburetor and I have switched the Eiseman mags to a set of serviceable Bendix with new leads and sparkplugs. All cylinders compression check over 70 and I have had all the valve springs off to check for more sticky valves and found none. I have checked mag timing several times and it checks ok. Does anyone have any ideas because I'm running out.

Latest posts

Back