• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-85 Engine Start Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV-GWS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My engine was recently worked on to overhaul cylinder rockers and bushings. Runs great now. Primer was also overhauled with new O-rings to make sure it is sealed when locked off. Engine used to start easily after 8 pulls (with no prime) above 70F and 12 to 15 pulls below 70F. After mags switched on, she fired and idled at low rpm perfectly on 1st pull ...for years. Now... no matter what I do, prime or not, 4 pulls or 12 pulls, I get a "chug" after the 1st pull, followed by maybe a another chug or nothing for the next 2 to 3 pulls. After the chug it just won't start until I clear the engine. After clearing the engine, I crack the throttle a little more and she either starts on the first pull or starts with 2 or 3 chugs in a row, saved only by my reaching in quickly to give her a little more throttle. My question is: What does the "chug" (with no start) usually mean ? Not enough fuel in there?... or too much fuel ? My gut feeling is probably not enough fuel in there to keep it running, but... it quickly floods after the chug. Any engine guru's out there ? Thanks. WV-GWS

Latest posts

Back