• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

blow by

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paul Smith

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my C-90. I am losing about 2 quarts out the breather tube every hour. I got oil everywhere south of the cockpit.

We tried putting an extension on the breather elbow, pinching the end, we tried re-routing the hose over the case and down the firewall so the elbow is sticking up about 10 O'clock, hoping that would drain some of it back into the case. No good.

Great compression. Mid-70's all around, however, we heard some leaking when we hooked up an air line for compression checks on 3 out of four. Had the cylinders honed, new pistons, new valves, guides, seats ground, P.005 over rings put in, no change. The oil gets black in an hour, what little is left, so we're still getting some blowby. We're running out of ideas.

Anybody run into this before? The engine sat for about 12 years before we bought the airplane, and there was some minor corrosion in the jugs, but nothing major. Oil pressure is mid-40's hot. Good power, good acceleration, just blowing oil.

Thanks

Paul

Latest posts

Back