• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Artillery/Liaison Pilot Training and Instructors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete51577

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some insight here on the actual training that was given to artillery and liaison pilots during the war. I have read in different places the overall curriculum, but I'm interested in the actual techniques etc that were taught. Also, who were the instructor pilots? Civilians with military check pilots?
It seems to me that these schools, Ft. Sill, etc., were likely teaching some of the most focused and aggressive stick and rudder flying ever, which was really the distilled collective knowledge of 1930s flying, militarized. I've done a good bit of research on the CPTP/WTS and the USAAF and USN primary flying training, and what is clear is that the instructors were all civilians for the most part, many of whom cut their chops in1930s flying. The flying done by artillery pilots and liaison pilots during the war seems to me to have likely been some of the most impressive flying of light aircraft ever in terms of stick and rudder skills. Nowadays everyone whips themselves into a froth about "bush flying" and bush pilot techniques when, to me, it all goes back to those 1940s guys and their skills. The artillery and liaison instructor pilots, whomever they were, seem to be at the center of it. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back