• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Another topic: Mounting the boot cowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
I've noticed from pictures of nicely restored J3's that there seems to be no rule about the vertical line of screws that attach the boot cowl along side the fuselage. My old boot cowl, had a total of four. Some of the pix I've seen have as many as 10 or even more. It seems that a parallel vertical line of screws shows up in some pictures more toward the front of the boot cowls. What is the aggregate knowledge on this board of the right way to do that part of the boot cowl install. I'm also seriously thinking I'd like to use rivnuts rather than the sheet metal screws that my old boot cowl used. I've used them a lot over the years when I was doing nav com installations.

My old boot cowl also had holes for several screws welded to the face of the fuselage on tubes right behind the firewall. I wont see my new Univair fuselage until next week, so I don't know if they will have those welded screws. If so, what the heck do I do with them other than make sure the boot cowl has holes for them, and I put lock nuts and washers on them??

My old fuselage had those screws in-place, but cut off so they didn't protrude through the old boot cowl.

Latest posts

Back