• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Aileron gap seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayfield

Reaction score
A thousand years ago, after just turning 18, I drove to a small airport in Iowa searching for a J-3 to buy. Although I knew absolutely nothing about J-3s, I knew I wanted one. The operator had one for sale in the back of an old hangar. It had been in a tornado, and during the rebuild, it had received lots of spar splices and interesting welds, as well as a bright yellow new cover. I think it also was given new struts, cowling, engine, prop, and so forth. I was in love and bought it.
I flew it home, and my new J-3 friends quickly pointed out that I didn't really have a J-3, even though the paperwork told me it was a 1938 model. Everyone quickly pointed out that it only had a 1100 pound gross weight, J-2 wings, ailerons and tail, and a number of things that didn't look right on a J-3. I was embarrassed but flew my airplane anyway for a number of years, and it always passed an annual.
But what interested me the most were the fabric seals that covered the gap between the wing and aileron. It certainly was different than other J-3s, and after all of these years, I wonder if it was a one of a kind, or if early Cubs had such seals. I've never found out and never saw another like it. Don't remember any paperwork concerning it, either.
I remember it being quick off the ground compared to other J-3s, but that wasn't always so good, because it could fly at speeds slower than it could be controlled with ailerons.
Has anyone ever seen a J-3 with fabric aileron gap seals, especially an early one?
Bill

Latest posts

Back