• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A65 with no log books

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbjr

Bill Batson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I would like some opinions concerning the overhaul of an A65 that I have that has no log books. Bought it years ago from my cousin when he fell on hard times and had to sell his Cubby and parts. Supposedly it had a recent overhaul when he bought it but the logs were lost.

My IA told me to completely disassemble the engine and inspect all the parts. I have done this and it looks surprising good. Only the cam had some minor pitting on the lobes - sent it off and a $145 regrind made it good again with a yellow tag. My question concerns the crank, rods, etc. The crank measures excellent mains are ten under but vertually spot on measurements and only one journal .001 out of round. We magnafluxed it, the rods, connecting pins etc. at the airport shop and everything is fine. Cylinders measure well within overhaul limits and hone marks are very visible. Valves look new and seats are in excellent shape as well as the guides

The IA said I should note everything measured, inspected and magnafluxed and start assembly. He stated that since I hold an A&P and there was no major repair work I can creat a new log detailing the work done and results found and just list the TT as unknown.

Is that a proper way to handle this or should everything be sent out for yellow tags. Also has anyone done such an overhaul on a no log engine?

Thanks for any help
Bill

Latest posts

Back