• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

1942 J3 cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix

Reaction score
May I please ask the forum the following questions
I am based in Johannesburg South Africa
Essentially a glider pilot/instructor of 25 years and a tug pilot for the club
We use PA-18 supercubs with 180 hp engines which I thoroughly enjoy.

As a kid I have always flown 1/4 scale J3 model cub and loved the silhouette of the cub with the sun setting in the foreground.
It has always been my wish to own and fly a J3 cub
My question is whether I am possibly over romanticising this experience or whether it really will be as good as I hope it will be
I have no particular destination for the aircraft so I am essentially only looking for a fun and fly.
I have flown many motorgliders/ aeroplane and none have really spoken to me. This includes the lambada.

I have an option of buying a 1942 J3 cub, fully restored, with a continental 65 hp motor and an auxiliary wing tank installed.
I am told that the aircraft, engine is time 0 and probably one of the best restored J3 in the country
asking price $ 45 000
Is this engine a standard of that era and does the installed auxiliary wing tank detract from the originality/ worth of the aircraft

your thoughts appreciated
Frank

Latest posts

Back