• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

1941 J3 F left wing needed

I FLY EZ

Reaction score
Hi Folks;
New to this board and need to ask some questions if ya'll don't mind.

I found a "project" hanging in a garage that will need a re do!
It was the victom of a "hanger collaps" and there isn't a left wing to work with.
Any help in this matter would be wonderful !!!!!

Thanks, I FLY EZ - Paul

longwinglover

Reaction score
Paul,

Since nobody else has stepped in, I'll take a shot.

You haven't really said how complete (excepting the left wing) this project is (or if you have bought it or just "found" it). In my opinion, if it complete otherwise and the price is $6000 or less, BUY IT. If the price is more than $12000 walk away.

What engine is installed? You say it is a J3F (Franklin), I'll take a guess that it has a Continental engine (if it has an engine). Carefully review the paperwork to ascertain the "correctness" of the paperwork for the Continental install. This can save some possible headaches later. IF the engine is still the original Franklin, it's a good engine - but parts are much harder to find.

My personal pet peeve is that a J3 is NOT a J3. There are (mainly) J3Cs' (Continental engine), J3Ls' (Lycoming engine) and J3Fs' (Franklin engine). These are each on seperate type certificates and with the attitude of a majority of the FAA inspectors today, some of the most desirable changes you would want to have (engines and higher gross weight (1220 vs. 1170)) MAY be dificult to get approved. Do a search on this site for more discussions about different type certificates.

You didn't give much information about your background or ability. Truly, almost anybody has the skills necessary to rebuild a J3 (rocket science hadn't been fully developed yet in 1941), but it is necessary to work with an FAA mechanic and DO IT TO THE FAA's CRITERION. This is frustrating to some.

Assuming this is a true "project" and needs complete teardown and rebuild, you can expect to spend between $20K and $40K and between 1 and 5 years getting a flying Cub. Of equal importance to the money needed is that you have to have a PLACE to rebuild. This can be tough (and/or expensive) depending on where you live.

I DON'T want to talk you out of buying and rebuilding this Cub, I just want to be realistic about some of the things you are facing.

Wood spar left wings are not necessarily just laying around for the picking. I'm sure you can find one if you are patient and look in the right places (friends, fellow Cub owners, Barnstormers, E-bay, Trade-a-Plane, etc.). You might contact Univair, but I think they mainly deal with metal spar wings. Dakota Cub has metal spar wing kits (about $6k per wing). It IS legal to have one wood spar wing and one metal spar wing, but it would be kind of weird.

If you have a friend who truly KNOWS about Cubs, enlist their help in evaluating what you have.

Buy the FAA records CD for the plane whether you already own it or are still contemplating the purchase. It will probably fill in some blanks on the ownership history and mechanical history of the plane.

Join the Cub Club and BUY ALL THE BACK ISSUES. The majority of the questions you will come up with will have answers found in the back issues. The Cub Club will become one of your best allies in rebuilding a J3. Good Club and GREAT people.

Welcome to this website.

GOOD LUCK!!!

John Scott

Latest posts