• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

$16.23 worth of fun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Last Sunday I went out and blew $16.23 on a good time, a whole hour's worth.

More fun than on Friday, when I drove my 24' Wellcraft 25 miles down the Chesapeake Bay to St. Michaels, Maryland, for a crab cake sandwich at the famous Crab Claw. At 2 or 3 miles per gallon, that was at least a $150.00 crab cake. Beautiful day, though.

But Sunday was better.
Early morning, Front Royal, VA, airport, which is miles out in the country from the town, with runway 27 facing a near vertical ridge a few miles west.
No sounds, wet grass, one dog on the farm across the runway barks. Rooster answers, as he has before.
Small hawk flew over, carrying a mouse upside down!
Pulled the Cub out; nearly orange in the early morning sunlight.
Feeling really well today, air still cool, climbing out slowly enjoying the long crisp morning shadows.
Just flew south, crossed the South Fork about 7 times as it snaked below me. Circled my friends still not finished log home near Luray Caverns, took a couple progress pictures. He and his wife came out on an unfinished deck and waved; guess I woke them up. Must be sleeping in sleeping bags.
Back to Front Royal, enter the pattern, I see gliders being assembled, and one is being towed to the launch end of 27. Nice landing. I'm satisfied with that. Clear runway midfield, see tow plane coming around the corner of their hangar. "Pawnee XXX radio check". "Loud and clear, and its all yours."

$16.23 for fuel. You can't get more fun for that price than an early morning flight in a J3!
Chuck Shaw
1_aaa3461SchoolColors.jpg

Latest posts

Back