• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Mystery Cub in Mississippi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davet

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm researching a Piper cub story that occured in Mississippi.

based on the photos I think it is a J-3 cub. Can anyone confirm?

Do you have any info on the J-3 NC216...?

Do you have any info on the pilot: George Joe Lansing from Minnesota?

This story was told to me recently:
"I was born in 1934 and when I was a little girl living way out in the country on a farm a small aircraft landed in our pasture one Sunday afternoon (about 1938 to 1942). This guy was alone, flying from Minnesota to Florida. High winds forced him to land. He was upset as there was no transportation, lodging, nor food within miles. My parents said NO PROBLEM........he was welcomed royally into our home, overnighted with us and my mother put the best that she had on the table for him. I have a picture of this aircraft with me standing by it. (ATTACHED) All of the neighbors came as they saw the plane go down and someone brought their camera.He sent letters of thanks and gifts to us and my mom always got a Christmas card from this guy for years. HE WAS MOST APPRECIATIVE of my parents southern hospitality.

The pilots name was George Joe Lansing and he was from Minnesota and he was going to FL

I thought you might enjoy this early Piper story. If you have any info to add I would like to know. I'm documenting Mississippi aviation history.

More info on the pilot:Based on Army enlisted records
Person Full name: George J Lansing
Born 1912 Minnesota, 04/12/1912
Birth Place: Minnesota
Level of education: 2 years college
Married
Military service: Enlisted 2 May 1946
Regular Army, Enlisted man, serial number 19055055
Enlistment place: Orlando Air Base Florida
Enlistment for Hawaiian Department
Highest rank achieved: TSGT USAF
Last Residences: Cascade County, Montana, Denver Colorado
Died: 06/27/1986,
Buried: Fort Logan National Cemetery Denver, Denver County, Colorado, plot: U 3340

V/R

Dave Trojan

piper cub.jpg

piper cub.jpg

Latest posts

Back