• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Short Field Takeoff Technique vs Soft Field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTx

Reaction score
It seems I may have a break in tomorrow's weather and might be able to make the flight to the area where I need to take my checkride. Thus, I am reviewing some of the material. I had a question concerning the FAA's requirement of Short Field Takeoffs in taildraggers. I may have been doing mine wrong:

The FAA says in the Flying Handbook in regards to SHORT FIELD TAKEOFF:

• [li]For the steepest climb-out and best obstacle clearance, the airplane should be allowed to roll with its full weight on the main wheels and accelerated to the lift-off speed.[/li]

When I was doing my short field takeoffs, I was sort of doing it the same way I did the soft field takeoffs: minimizing drag as much as possible by replacing the weight on the wheels to the wings--hence a tail low attitude on the takeoff roll. This would put me in ground effect quicker and I'd be able to build up more airspeed and then have a stronger climbout. But, by doing it the FAA's way and rotating to climb out from the main wheels, wouldn't we be putting on more parasite drag due to the turf? My thinking is that most, if not all, short fields are non-paved, hence the extra drag by keeping the mains on.

Back