• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Mexico Farms Airport, MD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Another beautiful high pressure day today, but this time it was overcast. Had to go somewhere.
We have all read many postings by Jack about flying a J-5 out of Mexico Farms Airport, which is on low ground close to the Potomac River. My objective was to fly up there, try and spot that near hidden place and and see if a red Piper was flying, and take a picture or two.

Cumberland Airport, CBE, or KCBE if you like, is just south of the city of Cumberland, MD. However CBE is on the other side of the Potomac, in West Virginia. Immediately south of CBE is Mexico Farms Airport. Would you believe it is on the other side of the Potomac from CBE, so it is in Maryland? Makes no sense, until I realized CBE is on the WV side of a loop of the Potomac which pushes east into MD.

Approaching the Cumberland area, this ridge always reminds me of the Lockness Monster, or some such thing. I don't know what the WV folks call it.
53-MonsterRidgeCumberland.jpg

Here is Mexico Farms Airport, founded in 1923, and a stopping place for many famous pilots including Gen. Billy Mitchell, Charles Lindberg, Wiley Post, and Howard Hughes. Greater Cumberland Regional Airport is in the background; I was on right base for runway 5 at Cumberland. Sorry about the reflections, it was a little cold to open the right hand door!
54-MexicoFarmsAndCumberland.jpg

This strip is on the top of a ridge a few miles east of CBE, in an area that is covered with apple orchards. That white building appears to have two bi-fold doors, and a third door large enough for vehicles. Interesting change in elevation on that strip about in the center. Jack, do you know what this place is?
61-RidgeTopStripCumberland.jpg

The glider club at Front Royal has ended their winter hibernation, and on return I had to dodge this guy, who said he was entering right downwind for runway 27, going away to my left, but then he made a right 360, probably still trying to extend his up time. Well, I have done enough glider instruction and towing to know how that works, so no problem. It was fun to watch him soar.
77-GliderFrontRoyal.jpg

That's my story for today. Pretty lame compared to what folks do in real mountains, but this is where some of us hang out, and we do have fun!
Chuck Shaw

Back