• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

No Snow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Another beautiful high pressure day in the Shenandoah Valley. Seemed like a good day to fly west and visit Sky Bryce, VA, where we have gone for years during the winter to have a good lunch and watch the snow bunnies ski down the trails right to the deck of the lodge.

Today there was no snow on the slopes, just beautiful lush green and the start of fall colors.
9304NoSnowSkyBryce.jpg

What a peaceful valley.
9308BeautifulValley.jpg

After a brief stop, I took off to the north, after a Cessna which was making closed patterns. The condos and chateaus line the ridges; at the south end you can look in the windows as you land. I was too busy to take a picture at that point.
9310SkyBryceClimbOut.jpg

This ramp used to be nearly full of local aircraft, including a twin which was owned by the man who started Sky Bryce Ski Lodge and Resort. For quite a while there were no based aircraft, and I was glad to see that there are several now. There has been pressure to close the airport and expand the golf course.
9312SkyBryceRamp.jpg

Next stop was Danny's 3,000 foot grass strip at Woodstock, VA
9300WoodstockVA.jpg

I still had lots of wire sticking out of the fuel tank, so went to another favorite place, Luray, Virginia. Real nice folks there, and they have a courtesy car for taking people to Luray Caverns and bringing them back after they tour the caverns. By noon they had about 20 aircraft land at the airport to visit the caverns.
9314LurayAirportVA.jpg

It was time to take a break, visit the airport manager, and buy some crackers. Some day I will have to take the ride over to the caverns!
9317Luray818-1.jpg

OK, just one more picture. The retired Air Force pilot that flew the F86 on display in front of the Front Royal airport asked me to take a picture of it from the air, now that they have it all cleaned up and sitting on a nice pad. I will do better on another day; I didn't have much flexibility because of lots of glider activity.
9331F86atFRR.jpg

A great day, with about 2.2 hours of flying, using 7.0 gallons of gas.
P.S., This is sort of an experiment in using photobucket, which I had trouble with previously because of password issues.
Chuck Shaw

Latest posts

Back