• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Finally got a cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTx

Reaction score
Took a drive through the backroads a month ago and noticed an ad for a piper cub for sale. Not having any idea how I'd even afford one, I decided to drop on by and see the plane in person. Turns out its hangared in the middle of a corn field on a farm in the middle of nowhere. I talked to the farmer (covered in grease and diesel from working on the tractors) and he offered to show me the plane. We drove down to the little shack and he slid the doors open and there she was: C90, new fabric, brakes, 1946 model, tanks in wings, metal spars, etc. A really beautiful airplane. I told him I didn't have 35k (which is what he was asking for). A few days later we made a deal for the low 20s...AND...he threw in the hangar and landing strip for free--no rental fees. He just wanted to see someone fly it, he said.

So far it's a dream come true. I just need to get a CFI now. I got the papers right here and gotta get them signed. Also need to get it inspected before I hand over any money, but the guy kept telling me there won't be anything wrong with it. He said to just call the guy he uses out of a local airport. The guy was full of stories...enjoyed listening to him. This is everything I envisioned on how I would find the airplane. Pretty cool, huh?

I know it's not the way most of you would have done it, but what the hell...sounded like a good deal to me. If it doesn't work out, I can sell it. Tomorrow evening I have unofficial flight lessons with the farmer. Should be interesting...then the hunt for a real CFI begins.

Solo in a day. Think I can do it? :0P

Getting closer! I'll take pictures tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back