• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Winsheld Frame...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cub Pilots,

Windshield frame is probably the wrong decription. The cockpit fuselage tubing that goes in front of the windscreen has some odd welding work on it. Both tubes mid-way between where they go into the dash and the overhead structure have a "beefed up" section about 6 inches in length exactly where one would hold to position themselves in the front seat.

My first impression was a splice of some sort to repair damage. It's a very good, sturdy weld job. I know it doesn't mean much, but I went through the Canadian logs all the way to 1962 and the plane flew continuously until the late 90s' when it received a flying-restoration. So, at least for that period, no damage that would've required tube splicing occured. My other thought was some sort of strengthening modification for floats, etc? Any ideas from you guys? I'll try to get out to the hangar to post a picture.

Mike-

Latest posts

Back