• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Re-finishing Fuselage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbritton12345

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered in other posts but I wanted to combine all in one post and see if anybody has any other feedback. I have my fuselage down to the bare bones with everything removed. Very little if any rust. Plane lived in AZ most of its life. Few of the thin sheet metal cross members are bent but I can straighten them out. I guess I might have to braze some.

Bottom of tail section needs welding and repair. Rust and corroded tubes there. Doesn't somebody sell a rear tail piece to weld right in?

Also, I need to sandblast and prime it. From reading other posts, the way to go is zinc oxide or zinc chromate epoxy primer. Right? Then any type of epoxy paint can be applied? I like the idea of white color for future inspections.

Plus I saw places where people said to put tube seal in the fuselage. There are no weep holes (like there are in motorcycle frames) so am I to drill a hole in each tube, squirt in tube seal, drain, then re-seal with a weld?

Anything else I need to be leary of? When should I get an IA to look at it?

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back