• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

We need some excitement around here . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I, of course, am the only liberal I know really well. My buddies gently prodded me after the election about all the freebies we want from the government, so of course I waved my wine glass (real men drink beer) at the runway and said "thank God for the taxpayers - i could never afford this!"

To which, of course, the comment was made that fuel taxes pay for every speck of it. I can find no definitive source that would prove that, but I did find an IATA conclusory statement, under the heading of " common misonceptions":

.....that aviation is “not paying its way”. Aviation bears the full cost of its infrastructure through user charges – conversely, road and rail infrastructure are financed by taxes and massive State subsidies. Aviation generally has a higher external cost coverage than other transport modes

This may be why it is so much more expensive to fly than to take the train - oops, I cannot even afford the train.

Your opinions, of course, are solicited, but honest-to -God budget numbers would be better. My share of our new runway is $30,000, and I have the feeling that my gas tax did not come close. I am heading out now, and the chances are good that I will be by myself in the pattern at least part of the time, with six controllers and 28 airports employees waiting on my every desire.

Well, maybe the other Cub guys will join me - by accident we had three J-3s and one Super Cub in the pattern Monday.

And yes, I would rather have a grass strip that I owned outright.

Latest posts

Back