• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

EAA Direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to respond to the HONDO/SWRFI thread and decided I was spinning too far off that topic so I am posting this in a new thread.

I've been an EAA member since 1990 and grew up as an airport and EAA kid. My dad was a member back in the late 50s or early 60s. I've seen significant changes in the EAA. Some were obviously very necessary and good. Others, in my opinion weren't so good.

I feel EAA has forgotten "who brung 'em to the dance," if you will. While I also applaud their efforts with LSA, they have lost their primary focus of AFFORDABLE, homebuilt airplanes. I'm sorry, but $100,000+ isn't affordable to the average person. Virtually all LSA are $100K with anything beyond the absolute minimums and $80K stripped. Kits costs have grown exponentially to the point even the most basic kit produced plane built to VFR standards is $75K+. Expense is drving potential new pilots away from flying. That expense is due to high costs of everything related to renting, purchasing, maintenance, etc. While I probably have enough tied up in multiple planes to purchase a new LSA type, I accrued everything over a long period of time, not in one shot.

As for older aircraft such as our beloved Cubs, I think we need a much stronger push from AAA, EAA and AOPA for relaxed compliance methods. I would gladly convert my J3 over to non-certificated standard (never to return) in return for being able to legally perform more of my own maintenance and not have to have to track down and spend BIG dollars to purchase FAA-PMA parts. The owner produced parts rule only goes so far.

We need new engines which can run on autogas without having to purchase an STC. We need cheaper non-TSO's avionics. We need safe, but affordable planes which people can afford to own and operate. In other words, we need something for the little guy who just wants to be able to own his own plane, fly off his own property and enjoy a sunrise or sunset without having to pay $100K to do it.

I remember when most weekends would see 3-4 Cubs at my dad's strip every weekend. Many of the local farmers owned and flew Cubs or SuperCubs. My dad taught most of them to fly for free. The planes were affordable. Gas was cheap. Insurance was easy to get. Maintenance was cheap and minimal. I guess we will never again see those days. But we need someone who will focus on the grassroots aviation like EAA used to. The big dollars boys will always be around without any organized assistance.

I'll shut up and get off my soapbox now, but the HONDO issue (actually, the non-support) strikes a nerve with me.

Latest posts

Back