• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted C-90

supercub

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a run out C-90........thanks for the help.
Brian

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, but I'll pay more than Brian...

Just kidding, but I've had a heck of a time finding a rebuildable C-90. JimC keeps trying to convince me to get an O-200.

longwinglover

Reaction score
Some research would have to be done but... I've heard that late build C-90's were the same as O-200, just had a lower RPM redline. Anyone know if this is true?

There are numerous small parts differences with earlier C-90's but the main difference is the camshaft. If you found the small parts and a camshaft it IS legal to convert between the models.

Of course you'd end up with a C-90-12 (or-14) and it is the "-8" that is on the J3C type certificate.

John Scott

P

Paul Smith

Cub Club has a line on an STC for installing C-90-12F on a Cub. I have a copy of it for mine. it was about $60.

Paul Smith

GDKL

Reaction score
Question: I have a C-90 for my PA-11 project with full electrical. Can't find any exhaust that would fit .

Any info will be appreciated

Gilles

supercub

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super Cub PA-18-90 should do it.

GDKL

Reaction score
Thank you for the information . But before I order a muffler , I need the check the difference between PA-18 and PA-11 engine mounts. I beleive the first one (PA-18) is longer and therefore provide more space between engine and firewall.
I 'ill let you know of my findings.

Gilles

longwinglover

Reaction score
Gilles,

Since no PA-11's came from the factory with an electrical system installed, I doubt there is a certified exhaust system made to meet your requirements. I don't know of (though there might be) any aftermarket STC'd exhausts that meet your requirements. I don't know how Transp. CN would deal with modifying your exhaust to fit.

PA-11 and PA18-90 exhausts are not easily available. Some parts are not available and what is available is expensive. Univair is the only source I know of for what parts are available new.

If you have a stock PA-11 exhaust I suggest your best bet is to A) have someone like Dawley copy it so you have a spare and B) talk with someone like Dawley to see about producing a modified system that will meet your needs - assuming Transp. CN will go along with this.

I'm assuming the issue is interference between the muffler and the generator. Would a smaller size lightweight alternator fit? Maybe you could consider another source of power generation (wind generator) or go with a battery only system.

Electrical systems are heavy and eat into the limited useful load of a PA-11.

Good luck!

John Scott

GDKL

Reaction score
The problem is indeed with the generator taking all the space. I just might go without one and use cell batterries. My starter is a Sky Tech which is fairly small and I'll keep it to avoid hand propping which my wife hates to see. My radio is an Icom portable

If I go this way , possibly a stock J-3 muffler will do.

Gilles