• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Unlocked primer makes me crazy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Richgj3

I'm posting this to hopefully save somebody else the annoyance I just went through. I hardly ever use the primer on my Legend, and probably have not used it since last winter. I just crack the throttle and hit the key. Apparently during the condition inspection somebody (me or the A&P) exercised the primer but did not lock it correctly. It felt like it was, but it wasn't. After six hours and a few weeks of rough idleing and me thinking of every possible cause from stuck valves to bad plugs, the blue stain on the bottom of the cowl got big enough for even me to notice. The stains on the carb and the heat box indicated they were coming from above. I pulled the primer out and it felt stiff, but then it worked ok and locked properly. Then I cleaned all the blue stains off and started the engine. Amazingly it idled smoothly and there are no more leaks.

The funny thing is, less than 6 months ago somebody on here or SC.org asked about rough idle on their Sport Cub (same motor) and I suggested they check the primer. That turned out to be his problem. Sometimes I think I should pay attention to my own advice. But then I realize that's not as much fun as re-inventing the wheel. ::)

Rich

Latest posts

Back