• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Uncommon questions - Cub as Motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pteromoto

Reaction score
Hello Pilots-

My good friends have a Cub in the family, and I've been lucky enough to hang around with it and travel in other small planes with them. I was inspired by the combination of simplicity and flash on that old canvas plane and decided to build a motorcycle after it. I have a few questions about finish and fabric, but first let me tell you what I am doing.

I have a 1976 Honda CB360 stripped to the frame. I am lightening it and grinding off all the rust, preparing to repaint and install the rebuilt engine and all refreshed running gear. The tank will be replaced with a more angular and slimmer one from a different bike, intake reconfigured, fenders deleted, cables renewed, etc etc, many more details.

I plan to paint the tank Lock Haven yellow with the classic black cub lightning bolt. In place of a prop, I'm going to turn a laminated headlight nacelle in the Sensenich flavor. Instead of fabricating a tailpiece and sideboards from fiberglass, I hope to do them with lath canvas. I'm seeking help with finding the right paint and tips on canvas covering.

Enamel vs Dope? - will I have to get two kinds of paint? One for the tank and one for the canvas? (frame will remain black) I'd like the original Lock Haven stuff if possible. And I don't need much to cover 3 square feet of motorcycle.

Canvas craft - anyone know of a good book or site to guide me through the general process? I'll be making a small rear cowl similar to this. http://www.pipeburn.com/storage/12_09_2011_chingari_02.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1315828665367

Would appreciate any tips or ideas or gasps of horror at the idea of making an earthbound vehicle styled after a taildragging classic...

Luke

Latest posts

Back