• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Surprise encounter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Some days were just made for flying. Today was one, so I left work at 10:00 am, drove from near Baltimore to Front Royal, and with unexpected 60 degree weather and nearly calm winds, took off west across the ridges to check things out in the valley.

Imagine my surprise, when I popped across the last ridge, and this guy was coming the other way!
123AirForceOnRidge.jpg

Looking for the gap.
125AFbelowridge.jpg

I turned to keep him in sight, and watched him pop over the ridge east bound in a little saddle, about a mile from the one I came through a couple minutes earlier.
126AirForceGap.jpg

I went on to Woodstock, and observed some activity at Danny's grass strip, but decided not to land. There is a J-3 for sale there, I believe.
128WoodstockOpen.jpg

Then on to Sky Bryce, still lots of snow on the slopes, didn't land, and headed back towards FRR.
Met the big gray machine again! It looks like a C-17, with the winglets, but I thought all they had up at Martinsburg now was C-5's.
135MoreAirForce.jpg

A beautiful day, and fun to watch the Air Force having a little fun also.
OK, I know it was a serious training mission, and I'm glad they are up there!
Chuck Shaw

Latest posts

Back