• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Pics!! N4223S Cracked Spars Opinions Welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Well, we went down to the warehouse to grab the undamaged wings for N4223S yesterday(no physical damage from the accident anyway). I decided I would clean off the dope & sand the varnish off the but end of the front spars because I like the wood look better up in the cockpit. After starting to peel a rediculous amount of paint/poly tone off I my dad noticed a crack in on of the front spars which turned out to be a lamination joint starting some light seperation. Then we started to actually look at the other spars and heres what we found......

Keep in mind this airplane was completely restored in 2000. Every crack you see except for part of one crack on the left rear spar was filled with paint and varnish so there is no dought these were intentionally ignored and covered up in 2000!!!!!

Where is the best place to buy replacement spars for a J3? Dont need prefabed, just good quality blanks at a reasonable price within a reasonable time frame?

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back