• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

PA bug stains can be removed - If you went to SJ you hit the bugs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N42532

Reaction score
On our recent journey to Lock Haven and while at Lock Haven our prop, struts and leading edge became splattered with some kind of small black bug I've never seen flying 30 years here in PA.

I didn't think much of it and did not clean my aircraft of them which is my usual MO. Thursday morning after two days of bugs I decided to wipe the bugs off as they had been softened by the night dew. The bodies came of easily but each bug left a brownish yellow stain on my white butyrate doped wings. The stain will not come off. The stains will also not come of my Sikens painted white struts.

My buddies flying a yellow Cub and one with a yellow Champ also have the stains and can not remove them. One of them spend a few hours using various grades of compound trying to remove the stains and they did lighten but can still be seen.

I've never in my 30 years flying in PA seen these bugs.

What are they? Where did they come from? How can we get rid of them and more important how can we remove the stains they left?

Help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back