• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Other Carburetor questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotiamen

Reaction score
My newly rebult J3 on floats has a C85-12 -with a O200 crank , totally rebuilt including the Stromberg Carb.

I ve recently flown the first 9 hrs, and I am interested from those in the know re the Carb, what I am experiencing and possible suggestions adjustments etc?

The following conditions at the time of flight :

-Close to Freezing temps ( 30F to 42 F) Starts no problem and yes i do a slow warm up period prior to flight but clear the engine on taxi etc.
-when advancing the throttle during taxi and TO , rough running between 1500- 1800
-Very smooth above 2000, max & cruise RPM
- upon application of Carb HEat during flight ( say @ 2350 RPM) standard 100rpm drop BUT.....when taking "Carb Heat OFF" the engine INITIALLY drops AN ADDITIONAL 100rpm or so rpm FOR 2-3 SECS
BEFORE RESUMING 2350 rpm. ??

My rough Running at 1500-1800 has been suggested to be an idle mixture adjustment?
also noted on this link:
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm#Excessive_Mag_Drop_in_RPM_Range

However the brief drop after closing Carb heat?

Any thoughts welcome?

Merry Christmas?happy Holidays to a great site

IMGP1431.jpg

IMGP1430.jpg

IMGP1431.jpg

IMGP1430.jpg

Latest posts

Back