• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A Reborn J3 takes Flight Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
N88427, SN16045 takes to the air today after being in a hangar for over 30 years. As a recap, this project started as a complete rebuild in June, 2017.
Specs:
Replace engine with a freshly rebuilt C85-12F with O200 crank conversion and LyCon Flow balanced cyls and Sky Tec Starter (no battery installed yet)
Rebuilt from the frame up and covered with Stitts Poly Fiber and Aerothane paint.
Grove Brake conversion
12 gal tank left wing
API tail wheel
McCauley 1B90 71/46
All new wing struts
Basic Panel
Empty Weight: 729#

Engine run up yesterday. 40*F, 2400 RPM Static. Hand prop starts easily.

Took off today and relocated to another airport about 25 NM away. (yeah, I know, dumb to go xc on first flight but I really needed to move it) Engine runs great at 2300 RPM or greater but very rough between 1600-2300. Ran much better with carb heat on. Suspect it is way too rich. Rebuilt Marvel Schebler Carb.
Disappointed that trim cable is slipping during flight but works fine on the ground. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Otherwise, she flew great, clean stalls with no break either way.

I want to thank all of you who have contributed valuable input as this project was going on. Truly a big help. as well as all the other posts on other threads. The J3-Cub group is an encyclopedia of J3 knowledge.

More pics later. Phone died today.
J3 Reborn.jpg

Latest posts

Back