• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Old Timers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of discussion in recent days about flight instruction, taildraggers, characteristics and generally how someone should fly taildraggers in general and Cubs in specific. Several times, the term "old timer" has been used. What exactly qualifies one as an old timer?

I learned to fly in a Cub. I have flown mostly taildraggers (95.3% to be exact) in my slightly over 1000 hours total time. I've flown 37 different aircraft types and have no idea how many specific different planes I've flown....probably over 60. I have more time in a Cub (360+) than anything else. Second is a Stinson 108-3 (220+) and third is a Swift (110+).

The majority of planes I've flown are older than me. I am "only" 45. When I think of true OLD TIMERS, I think of OX-5 pioneers first, then pre-World War II guys. I guess I have finally given in and realize by today's standards, my dad (now deceased) was an old-timer. He started flying during WWII in USAAF.

I don't consider myself an old timer.....I still have a great deal to learn. So where do we make the cut for official old-timer status? 50....60...70..80? At least as old as our airplane? ::)

Just Curious,

JimR

Latest posts

Back