• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

More Pics!! N4223S Running with tail assembled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Here's a few pics taken a few minutes ago after running this engine for the first time after installing it on the Cub. The engine has been setting pickled in my hanger for about a year now. I flushed out the preservation oil, filled with oil, rotated it a bunch with the plugs out to blow all the pres. oil out of the cylinders, installed the plus, dumped some gas in her, pulled it thru about 8 blades and she fired on the first blade....it took a couple of attempts to stay running but I had the throttle set at dead idle. After the 3rd attempt she was idling smooth(3rd times a charm). Oil pressure was instantly at 35lbs. and smooth as silk.

With that said, I let her run for a couple of minutes at idle before I gradually started to run her up to 1500 for a mag check. Both smooth,right smooth with 50 rmp drop, left dead!?? I assume the mag switch and not a mag because if it were just running on one mag I would not get any drop at all when I went from both to the right.

The switch is the old A.C. Type A-9 with off/batt/left/right/both in that order. Anything below right is dead, just like going to off. I don't know much about this switch, I am familure with the A-7 which I assume is the same thing only without the batt selection. I assume its like most of the A7's when they need to be took apart, cleaned and tweeked. If anyone is interested I would trade this one for an A-7.

Anyway, everything else checked good, no oil leaks, no fuel leaks, ran smooth, fuel shut off worked, all seems right in the world today,lol.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

Latest posts

Back