• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Medical "Standards"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Richgj3

This is a RANT and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but once again an event has occurred which points out the total lack of relevance of the FAA medical process.

I'm sure you've read by now of the unfortunate King Air pilot who died at the controls. Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. Fortunately, the person who chartered the airplane was a Private Pilot and was able to land the airplane. (Will he be violated for no multi rating?)

The man who died probably had a valid second class medical in his pocket. I recently lost a friend who crashed a T6 after having a coronary with his freshly issued second class medical in his pocket.

Now the point of this is not that the FAA needs to do more to "weed out" these potential problems. I think that's not possible. My point is that the whole process is a waste of time and money for us "hobby" pilots. Going a step further, I think it would make sense to let Part 121 operators and part 135 operators maintain their own medical process, overseen by FAA, just like training, drug testing and maintenance.

Rant Over. I wish the WX would get better so I'd stop thinking about this stuff and go fly.

Rich

Latest posts

Back