• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Looking for a ready-to-go engine.

jontaylor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 1946, A-65 Cub that's in need of an engine. Would prefer a C-85/90, but know that the budget probably can't handle it. So I am willing to take the best that I can get in a 65/75. Something that I can just swap out, prop and all.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but what a running 85 might not be cheaper and easier to find.
God luck in your search.

jontaylor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim for your reply. From what I've seen, a C-85-8 is a difficult engine to find these days. Seem like most people are just like me, dumping a 65 in favor of something bigger. I'm hoping that somebody has a good leftover A-65 that they have swapped out and are willing to part with it at a reasonable price. The other problem I've got to keep in mind is the cost of a propeller that will be needed if I move up to a bigger motor. I'd love more HP, just like the next guy, but have to keep the budget in mind. :(

J3 Driver

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was one on barnstormers not that long ago do a search for A-65

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're running a Mac 7443 on your 65, it can be clipped and repitched for the 85.

cubdriver2

Reaction score

CONTINENTAL A65 131.0 SMOH • $5,500 • AVAILABLE • Includes mags, gears, carb, airbox and harness. Was removed from Cub going to floats. Log included • Contact Scott Schreiber, Owner - located Bealeton, VA USA • Telephone: 540-454-7548 • Posted January 19, 2012 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • Finance New Lower Rates!

Renkou1

Reaction score
Oregon is a long way away. 700 hour a65-8F. You will find something closer.

Horsemutt

Reaction score
Look on barnstormers under Flybaby, there is one for sale with a low time A-65, and a bunch of cub parts on it including scott brake master cylinders, wheels and brakes, tailwheel assembly , the whole flying airplane for 8 grand . I bet you could bargain him down a bit.

Shoot, you could fly it home part it out and recoupe most your money back!

Latest posts