• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J3 Wing tank wanted

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running an O-200 in a metal-spar 46 J-3 just using the nose tank. No wing tank(s). I've not needed addtional fuel, the 12 gallons in the nose tank is sufficient -- are you sure the extra weight would be worthwhile?
JimC

a3holerman

Reaction score
Jim,

Well I am not exactly sure. I am just reasoning that I will want more fuel but after thinking about it I should try it and see how it going to work out.....
I am figuring n about 5.5 gal/hr burn.

Thanks

Tom

anelon

Reaction score
One of the guys on my field is putting wing tanks in his Vagabond - the STC is good for a J-3, too. I believe he got it from Wag-Aero (Aero Fabricators). You have you choice of 8 gallon tanks or 11 gallon tanks. I'm thinking of putting a pair of 11 gallon tanks in my J-3 and doing away with the fuel in the fuselage.

bert

Reaction score
the extra weight of a tank is not that much. nobody said you have to fill it up all the time .
it sure is nice knowing you have an extra 11 gallons for longer trips.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
When you are flying with and empty wing tank, is that wing a little bit heavy? Or, is not even noticeable? Thanks, Papa Bear

F

fly_cubs

I've got the 8 gallon tank in my left wing- fly with it empty 95% of the time. Can't say that I that wing feels heavy at all when the tank is empty.

-tim

I

Igor

I have an 8 gal left wing tank and don't notice the wing heavy even when the tank is full. It's nice to have the option of more fuel.

One of my flights is around 2 hours East to the desert and a single choice of an airport with fuel to top off the wing tank. I need the extra fuel to not just get to my destination of the unsponsored/unorganized Owyhee Fly-In on the Oregon/Idaho border but for fuel to fly 15 miles from camp to the nearest Idaho strip which does not have fuel but does have a store for supplies...and back to camp and then to get back to my original stop for fuel on the way home. I couldn't do it without the extra 8 gal wing tank.

The Owyhee has no roads to it...you go by air or a 40 mile boat trip....or an all day drive on one way gravel/dirt roads and canyons and then boat another 5 miles if you pull your own boat.
There are 10-15 friends who have been doing this for 20 plus years. Most have Cubs...some go in with whatever is safe to an 1800 foot, narrow, dirt strip which goes uphill halfway and down the other half with water at both ends.

Do I "need" a wing tank for this annual trip to the Owyhee? Definitely. Do you need a wing tank? Only you can decide based on where you go or want to go.

Phil
PS: yes the crappie fishing is outstanding. So are the friends. You are all invited.
Pixs are in my Album under Igor.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The J-3 I fly has a 337'd 10 gallon external belly tank that takes about an hour to install or remove. The nicest thing about it is that you can leave it (and the weight) at home when you don't need it.
JimC

iflyaj3

Reaction score
I purchased my J-3 with an 8-gal wing tank on the left side. For many of the trips I flew in the NW, it was useful in providing the additional fuel for visiting strips where fuel wasn't available and would have pushed the normal center tank endourance/reserves. The additional weight didn't hinder my ability to fly in/out nor did I notice a heavy wing. During my rebuild, I put in a new 8-gal Wag wing tank on the left side and have had it nearly full since due to having problems with its flow...but think I may have a handle on that now. I've traded the additional takeoff/climb performance gains for carrying the weight knowing that I typically don't need those benefits....if I know I will, I have to plan a bit more and possibly go with no wing-tank fuel or...go on a diet. One recommendation I might suggest that I've had incorporated is to make provisions for an upper wing access panel so you can inspect the area once in a while. My old tank leaked a bit and fuel doesn't mix well with wooden spars (also a consideration?). In this case, the additional weight of the panel was worth the extra peace of mind. Mike P.

Latest posts