• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

I found my son's ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOldMan

Reaction score
letter to this forum re my aircraft which I am willing to him. It is as he described in Nov of 2007, fairly accurately. I purchased it in 1983 for $6500 in Fredericksburg, VA at Shannon Airport (a great place, by the way). In 1985, I flew it to El Dorado, Kansas, and gave it over to a good, personal friend of my father's, Cliff Patty. My Dad (now 83 years old) and Cliff worked on it, along with Brent Patty, who painted it for me, for two years. It was stripped to it's fuselage, recoated, etc., and then recovered and repainted (5-color paint scheme - rainbow effect). Total cost - $12,000. It does have a Continental 85-hp and does have about 400 hours left before a complete overhaul. I flew it from Kansas to California in 1987. My Dad and brother flew it back to the East Coast in 1991, and then I returned it to Kansas in 1997. It has always been hangared since I purchased it in 1983, save only those few days of cross-continent travel. For a variety of reasons, I have not been able to fly it for about 10 years. It has been hangared during that time, but does need an updated annual. I do have a certified A&P/AI who can and will put it back in the air at my behest. As with my son, I am not fully certain of the plane's value in the event I might have to sell it for medical reasons or otherwise. For those gracious enough to respond to my son's query last year, perhaps I might ask if you or others might try again with this additional information regards its value/potential value. I am contacting the FAA by the way re the plane's status with them and will rectify whatever issue(s) exist. Thanks, guys and gals - 60 years old, retired Marine, old (but not bold) pilot, who doesn't want to see the devolution of antique aviation and tree-hopping, though it may cost more for a tank of gas nowadays. Semper Fi - TheOldMan.

Latest posts

Back