• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

GW Increase to 1170

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUniform

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed in detail before, but through all my research I am still struggling with one part of the increase in GW from 1100 to 1170. I have a 1940 J3C-65. All four lift struts have been upgraded to the Univair sealed struts and heavy duty forks. The only question remaining is, what exactly needs to be done to the LG/strut attach fitting to be eligible for the 1170 gross weight? I know it has to be "revised in accordance with Piper drawing 21642," but I'm having a difficult time interpreting this drawing and deciphering what it means.

1.) For the lift strut attach points, it appears that the existing holes need to be reamed and bushings 80012-63 installed? I see that this bushing is sold by Univair, so...

2.) What needs to be done with parts 80012-64 and 81342-14 on the landing gear attach portion? I can't find these part numbers on Univair or anywhere else I've tried??

3.) What is the significance of the numbers "20121 LH" and "20121-01 RH"? Does anything need to be done here, or is it just a part number reference?

4.) Finally, the kicker - can all of this be done while the bracket is installed on the airframe?

I know the next jump to the 1220 lb GW involves additional mods to the landing gear brackets, legs, and cabane, which I am not going to consider right now. While it would be great to have, I'm not interested in tearing into my fully flyable Cub at this point.

Thanks for any help! I feel like I'm reading another language when I'm looking at these drawings..

21642.png

Latest posts

Back