• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Exhaust Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Johnson

Reaction score
I've read all the exhaust threads, I just want to make sure I've got the right idea here.

A-65 powered Cub. After an hour of touch and goes, I noticed a circular soot patch on the right cowling, just behind the horizontal piece, aft of the number four cylinder.

Ruh Roh.

Sure enough a dime sized hole with a vertical crack running through it. Careful examination of the left side manifold revealed a pinhole on the number one down tube which may or may not go all the way through. There was also some leakage on the cylinder just behind that, just below the flange at the very top of the manifold.

I talked to my IA about it. He said he did quite a bit of welding on the last annual a year ago, that the pipes are pretty thin and would probably continue to deteriorate as fast as we could repair it.

So, I understand my options are:

$1800 for the stainless set from aerospace welding in MSP.

OR,

$1200 for the same thing from Univair.

Thoughts and opinions? My airplane isn't a showpiece, it spends its life doing touch and gos in Houston.

Latest posts

Back