• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Examples before us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunkerhill

Reaction score
It is amazing to me how we always no matter who we are end up being influenced by someone. I was preflighting my cub the other day when a fellow came over and started telling me about a plane he intends to purchase that is light sport certified and requires a license to take passengers. Since he flys an experimental single seat he has no license but wants to buy a 2 seat so he can take his wife up. We talked about the plane for awhile which is a champ and then I mentioned that he would want to get his license as soon as he can either before of after getting the champ. I was shocked when he came back with the statement " I don't intend to get a license because that's just something they can take from you", I was so stunned that I really had little else to say. It turns out he runs around and looks up to this guy who is a self proclaimed experienced ultra light driver who Ive heard say some things that just did not sound right with regards to the rules. I doubt he has a license either.
It makes me so thankful to have had and still have good examples around me. My # 1 mentor is a guy in his early 50s who gave me my first official lesson in the 80s. He has 25,000 + hours in a bunch of different airplanes. Including several thousand hours in Beech 18s and DC 3s flying freight at night in order to build enough time to become a Fed X pilot. He is now one of their most Sr Captains who refuses to allow the auto pilot to fly his approaches. He just purchased a J3 and has a hanger next to mine.
I was reminded of how this mentorship thing works a few days ago when we decided to fly together cross country to another airport. I preflighted my Cub thoroughly "I THOUGHT" and took off. I circled in the pattern waiting on him while he taxied to the line and began his run-up. He was there quite awhile and before he moved past the line I saw all of his controls moving while he ck ed them. I was reminded at that moment that I forgot to ck mine in my haste to get going. Enough said I was humbled and I learned a lesson without him saying a word . In almost 30 years I have NEVER seen him do anything that is unsafe. He is now my A&P and I am so thankful for his example and commitment to being a pro. I aspire to be the same

Latest posts

Back