• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

engine quit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h20boy

Reaction score
I have a C-85 engine on my Cub with the 0-200 pistons and crank etc. Runs great. However, the engine recently quit while my son was low and slow over a river bed. He was able to land without damage to the plane or himself. After a while he started the engine and ran it up. Mags and carb heat checked fine so he took off and flew home. I immediately responded "carb ice".

After he got back to the airport I ran it up and again the mags and carb heat checked fine so I flew it around the pattern. All was fine and so this seemed to confirm "carb ice"

However, later in the week I changed the oil and air filter and then taxied about 1 mile to the end of the runway and ran it up. All was fine until I added power to take off- the engine would not run above 1200 rpm.

I met the A&P, AI mechanic later and we checked the fuel flow, checked the fuel filter, the timing on the mags and etc. We found nothing and the engine will run fine- runs up and mags, carb heat check out normal and will take power now. However, I don't trust it.

Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do to correct it?

Latest posts

Back