• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Determining Horsepower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longwinglover

Reaction score
Got a question for all you guys out there that are smarter than me (that may be ALL of you ;D ).

Here are some what I will call "givens"

Horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5252. I'm not sure that THIS formula is correctly applied here.
"Standard conditions" i.e. Sea level and 59*F for on the ground and +50ft for in the air.
Continental O-200 engine - 100hp at 2750 RPM.
With a properly pitched prop the engine will give a static RPM of 2750 (100hp) at full throttle
(Wide Open Throttle - WOT). I assume this is also 100% torque???

The question:

If you take off and fly along the beach at 50ft and stabilized airspeed (if it matters let's say 100mph) for 2750 RPM. How much HP is the engine making? Is there a simple formula for this? Is it incalculable with the information given? Why do I care?

I know that the throttle is no longer WOT because I've had to pull it back (close the butterfly) to keep the RPM at 2750. I assume the Torque has also reduced due to a) reducing the throttle and b) the airflow through the prop due to the movement through the air (100 mph airspeed).

Can the formula be worked "backwards" from 2750RPM at 100mph at WOT to figure HP produced at "X" static RPM WOT on the ground?

John Scott

Latest posts

Back