• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Details Details Details...never ending details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
1. My donor airplane didn't have anti chaf material around the front of the boot cowl where it meets the engine cowlings. From some cub pix, I see that some use it, some don't. I did have it on my Aeronca 7EC. I think it would be a good thing to put it on the cub. I didn't really notice how my 7EC had the anti-chafe bonded to its cowling. (I'm assuming that I can get rid of much of the current gaposis that is showing around my engine cowlings and the boot cowl. I suspect many of the cubs aren't using the anti-chafe because many of them show some pretty sizeable caps between the boot and the engine cowls. If the gap remains significant, I don't know that the anti-chafe is worth the effort.

How do you out there with the anti-chafe between the boot and engine cowlings stick the anti-chafe on? Heat, oil, grime, and fuel have got to be a challenge to whatever goo you use.

2. I think I can tighten up my engine cowl to boot cowl clearances quite a bit with some bending of the engine cowl tangs...the arms through which the pins go to hold the cowls on. Has anyone tweaked those tangs by some bending? I'm talking about bending them from their current locations to maybe a quarter inch in two directions. (Down a quarter, and aft a quarter for example).

3. Upon close inspection of the cone rubber inserts on the engine mounts, the part that is visible is pretty checked. I don't know if that alone is enough to require pulling the engine from the front of the engine mount and replacing them. I can't see that the aesthetics of the rebuild gain much from doing that. The cones themselves are certainly cheap enough. Does the checking where it is visible imply that the cones are hardened all the way? If so, I'd replace them for sure.

4. Having been a builder of deep space exploration spacecraft most of my life, Steve's Aircraft gascolators are the only way to go. Thanks for whoever said to bite that bullet and replace the old style. Steve's are a finely machined and crafted and well engineered piece of harware, much like you would find on a spacecraft.

5. Does anyone have the record that would show if my airplane serial number 20890 would have come from the factory with aluminum spars? I've spent so damn much on this thing that I just as well go completely broke with new aluminum spar wings if it came fom the factory that way.

6. I'm fighting the obsessive compulsive habits for perfection gained from 40 years in the space business. Anyone know how to overcome that when restoring old airplanes?? It's costing me a big pile of money.

Latest posts

Back