• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub Cross Country Trip Report WA to FL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

backcast

Now that I've recovered from the trek thought I would share my notes for those interested:
The route I chose was Tacoma to the Columbia Gorge via Portland, down the Gorge to Eastern Oregon via Baker City following I-84 (Old Oregon Trail), from there to the long Idaho bowl via Boise to Pocatello. From Pocatello climb up to the western rim of the rockies to Rock Springs, Rock Springs diverting north of Laramie (so I wouldn't have to climb higher then 8500), to the eastern edge of the Rocky Plateau, south to Cheyenne. Then at the plains, direct from Cheyenne to Wichita Kansas, Wichita through Missouri to just west of Nashville Tn (overnight at my Dad's house), then due south to Alabama, angle across southern tip of Georgia, then direct to Winterhaven Florida.

Overnights:
Troutdale Oregon: fuel, wx computer, facilities available, tie down only, walking distance to hotels, FBO car didn't work
Hermiston Oregon: fuel, no wx computer, limited facilities, tie down only, wallking distance to hotel, no FBO car overnight
La Grande Oregon: fuel, new facility w/all amenities, tie down only although private hangers can be found, drive to hotel, car available
Baker City Oregon: fuel, knowledgeable folks with maintenance, computer, tie down only, drive to hotel, car available
Burley Idaho: nothing! you are on your own, you can call out for fuel but good luck
Rock Springs Wyoming: fuel, computer, no car, hotel 20 mins to town (took the hotel van), hanger available
Cheyenne Wyoming: fuel, computer, no car, hotel 10 mins to town, hanger available
El Dorado Kansas (outside of Wichita): fuel, computer, car, hanger available
Humphrey's Tennessee: fuel, computer, no car, hanger available

Route was a good choice between terrain, current weather, and facilities. Started watching the weather across three routes a month out (I-90 through Montana, I-84 through Idaho then to Wyoming, due south to Cali then over to AZ). Picked the most feasible considering distance and current wx patterns. Found that most airports had fuel, longest leg between available fuel was not more than 150 miles. Temperature was well below zero over the Rockies at 8.5K feet, with basic winter coat, long underwear, cub heater, and a good door seal (my cub has a flat seal around the door edges that keeps the door drafts out) and a really good pair of winter boots the cold was not a problem. Spot locater worked flawlessly (had it mounted on the dash), there were some times over the rockies where FSS could not be reached on a handheld icom. Garmin 196 with lithium batteries did real well, would go about 7 hours straight before needing new batteries. Wx was never perfect, but that's flying, it was either 4-5mi vis with low ceilings and little wind, or gusting like mad with decent skies. Often times had to work around wx, routes, etc but I did not plan a distinct route, I simply went airport to airport and adjusted accordingly. Wore an inflatable floatplane vest with basic survival goodies packed in the pockets (figuring if I did go down the only thing I would get out of the plane is what I was wearing so I tried to pack as much as I could in the vest). Used sectionals in my lap along with the 196 to navigate, and of course the rivers and highways. Learned that the highways may take the low routes across mountains but the Rail Road tracks actually take the lowest and least grade, and most have a service road next to them. WX reporting stations is a problem across the west, there are decent sized gaps and more often than not you simply have to poke your nose up there and give it a shot.

Awesome journey! If anyone wants more details ping me.
Tedd

Latest posts

Back