• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-90-8 is toast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-90 Cub

Reaction score
Well..........flew the old Cub this morning and need to rebuild the engine as of this afternoon. The old girl is dying a slow death...............it is slowly locking up. I flew it this morning,all seemed well. Flew it this afternoon all seemed well, until I put it back in the hanger. I usually wipe the bugs off while they are still mushy so they aren't so hard to get off. I pulled the prop backwards to wipe it off and it was very stiff to turn. Hummmm.............I pulled on it to check crankshaft end play.........zero.

I have ask on here about partial power loss on climbout and carb heat seemed to fix it. Well, looks like the front thrust bearing has did something ugly. Looking like the old girl has been trying to lock up on me. Nothing today was abnormal. Oil temp and pressure the same, rpm climbing out, the same. I was just 17 hours on it going to Lockhaven and Hammondsport and back home. But it is definitely seizing up. I'll pull it apart this weekend and let everyone know what I find. I'm hoping the people on here can put me touch with some places to send the crankcase, crankshaft, etc. too to have gone over or repaired.

Today started out good.

Steve (temporarily Cubless) Trutschel

Latest posts

Back