• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Brushing Epoxy Primer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbjr

Bill Batson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Had my J2 fuselage media blasted a week ago Friday. Very nice job and no tubes were found that need replacing. Brought it home for priming and decided to apply the Polyfiber epoxy primer by brushing. In the past I have always sprayed the primer and had to touch up many spots that were missed no matter how careful the spraying.

My buddy Gar Williams said the epoxy brushes very nicely so I thought why not give it a try. It took six days of 3-4 hour sessions to cover everything but it was nice work - most of it sitting down. The poor man's fuselage rotater in the pictures made that possible.

So the Cons are:

more time and labor.

Pluses are:

use very little material - slightly less than a pint plus hardener and reducer. Great coverage and you get every corner and cluster very well. No overspray or cleanup. Easy to mix a batch each session and get brushing quickly.

My labor is cheap as I pay myself nothing (probably still overpaid :) and being retired who cares. I think it came out very good and you end up doing a very good inspection of each tube and cluster as your brushing. Did find another tube with a dent that needs attention.

If your not in a hurry try it.

Cheers
Bill

100_4922.jpg

100_4927.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back