• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

backyard runway NTOL not STOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L4Tom

Reaction score
Ok this is an open question to everyone flying Cubs in and out of small airstrips. I have been carving an airstrip out of my backyard woods for a couple of years now. I'm getting close but still work remains. 1800 ft clear about 1200 ft available for ground roll. 70 ft trees either end.
Aircraft is a fairly light 85hp L4 The length is fine, my question is about width.
I have 90 ft width on ground which in some spots is only 60 ft at higher elevation do to tree canopys . That make is look really narrow from the air. Wide open on the ground but skinny minnie from the air. Anyone want to share any practical real time exterience operating in a narrow confines? I'm leaning towards it's ok with the right conditions. Biggest challenge I forsee is a gusty cross wind which would be a no fly condition. Not looking for anyone to tell me it's ok or not , just share some of your perspectives. Thanks Tom

Latest posts

Back