• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

AVA 120 reel Antenna Drouge Chure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaL4

Reaction score
Guys,

On my L-4E I made a steel frame and covered it with fabric per the original and am having another frame welded up right now and the cost is astronomical. I thought there had to be a better way so I experimented with three prototypes.

The first I made using heavy stock paper soaked with glue and covered with ceconite

The 2nd method was glass cloth but was very labor intensive and the cone was too brittle.

Finally I made one using very thin aluminum. I joined the cone using a folded seam and attached the modified steel frame with fine steel wire soldered on the inside. The aluminum cone is then covered with fabric. The stiffness of the aluminum cone means you do not need the heavy welded steel frame and the steel frame at the mouth of the cone is simply wrapped and soldered.

At $100/hr for welders around here you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars to have a frame welded up vs about $5.00 worth of material to "roll your own" out of aluminum.

Here are photos of the fabrication of the aluminum cone that weighs in at five ounces. The other picture is of one of the welded frames covered with fabric I have used before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back