• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Any history buffs familiar with Bow Lake Airport?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerAircraft

Reaction score
I have a customer looking for information/photo of Bow Lake Airport.* Does anyone have any information they wish to share?

Subject: Dean Spencer and George Wolff
Date: December 26, 2012 12:47:03 PM PST
To: [email protected]

Greetings Steve,
**** Thank you for the phone time.
**** As explained over the phone I have been researching a photo history of the Renton Airport, to help preserve its history and push for a restoration of its original 1943 control tower.*I am looking to find photographs of Bow Lake Airport from 1940 to 1942 and its founders. It was founded in 1940 by Dean Spencer with George*& Violet Wolff. Violet Wolff died in 2010. I was hoping the current owner might know of people or connections that would help to put me in contact with their decendents. It is hoped there are period photos of the airport with the families. There are none I could find in local archives.
**** This Bow Lake Airport would be rebuilt into the Seattle-Tacoma Airport starting in 1943 and opened on Halloween, October 31, 1944. The first contol tower at SeaTac was a three story wood structure. After the new flight terminal was completed in 1949, the old control tower was sold to the City of Renton in 1950. Once in place at Renton it became the main operation control tower there from 1950 to 1961. The original 1943 Renton control tower was useful for all of its office space which kept it from being torn down long ago. However, the SeaTac tower was demolished in 1975.
**** In working on the history of Renton Airport and its tie in with the Seattle Tacoma Airport, I found out how little information was around on the people, and photographs of them and the early period of the airports.
**** Here are some interesting links for you to look at:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?n=violet-wolff&pid=143731448
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=4181
*** Any information or photographs your company can provide would be of great help.

Latest posts

Back