• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Annual inspection / airworthiness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renkou1

Reaction score
Someone in another thread asked about Part 43....Appx D as being the criterial for an annual inspection. Part 43 is only the tip of the iceberg. Many if not most of the Parts apply in some way or another to an annual. Also, the Preambles to the Parts that explain what Parts 'really say' may be longer than the Parts. Then there are the ADs, the ACs, and the Approved FAA I.A. online renewal classes that have other explainations of the duties of an I.A., Aircraft Owner/ Operator, Pilot.....
When one puts all this together and sifts it the different FIDOs have different interpretations of the specifics of most any thing. Each I.A. will have different opinions on compliance due to his/her experience and understanding of FARs and what is safe.
One guide for annualing an ac is to consider what it's use will be and who will be flying it and where they will be flying.
I was asked if a compass is required. That's basic for day and night flight. Night requires more instrumentation and a source of electricity to power a few things. If a G 164 that is projected to fly 700 hours in next 5 months is sitting side by side with a cub that will fly maybe 10 hours in the next year by the same pilot....tires being 90% worn on both...the tires on the 164 will get changed at annual. A cub, on the other hand, that will be used for instruction on new pilots and will get more time ....with student pilots who are less knowledgeable about airworthiness and less able to handle problems the cub will need a higher 'starting' level of airworthiness. IAs are not required to annual an aircraft that they believe is not as represented or will be used in a manner that could lead to violations or injury. When the day is done it's all judgement.

Latest posts

Back